Dry Film Lubricant Coatings Ti-MoS2/Cr-MoS2
Dry Film Lubricant Coatings, also known as Solid Film Lubricant Coatings, or Low Friction coatings have an extremely low coefficient of friction-0.04, making them ideal for applications that need extended wear resistance, have marginal, or no lubrication options. The coatings are based on Molybdenum Disulfide (a widely used lubricant) and applied using a Magnetron Sputtering Physical Vapor Deposition process. Like other PVD coatings they have excellent adhesion, and wear resistance.
Dry Film Lubricant Structures and Properties
These coatings have a unique structure of Titanium or Chrome to improve hardness and thermal stability, in conjunction with amorphous Molybdenum Disulfide. During sliding or rolling applications, a transfer from the coating to the mating surface occurs. This transfer creates a perpetual low friction surface. These coatings unparalleled resistance to fretting, galling, and sliding wear.
Dry Film Lubricant Coating Options:
|CeraTough®-0607||Ti-MoS2||Titanium Molybdenum Disulfide|
|CeraTough®-0608||Cr-MoS2||Chrome Molybdenum Disulfide|
Dry Film Lubricant Characteristics:
- Extremely Low coefficient of friction (as low as 0.04).
- Excellent adhesion and load bearing capability (ASTM C1624 Lc> 200N).
- Excellent surface finish will mirror that of the substrate.
- Self-lubrication in dry wear conditions.
- High hardness 700-1000 HV.
- Excellent release properties for resistance to galling, fretting, and sticking.
- Thermal stability up to 500°C.
Dry Film Application Method:
- Magnetron Sputtering Physical Vapor Deposition (MSPVD).
MSPVD Size Capabilities:
- MSPVD systems have a 3,000 lb. weight limit and can accommodate parts 30" in diameter and 40" tall.
Dry Film Lubricant Common Applications:
- Ti-MoS2- Low friction and wear at higher temps.
- Cr-MoS2- Low friction and wear, for use against copper alloys.
- Aero/Space components.
- Hydraulic components – cylinders, pistons, gear pumps.
- Valve components – balls, gates, seats, actuators, housings.
- Automotive components – crank shafts, cam shafts, gears, bearings, piston rings, tappets, wrist pins, fuel injectors.
- Pump components – impellers, diffusers, rotors.
- Metal forming dies for galling resistance and release.
- Plastic molding and extrusion components for abrasion resistance and release.
- Tools for metal forming and blanking.
- Plastic molds and extrusion components for abrasion and corrosion resistance.
- Mechanical seals.
- Large stamping, forging, die-casting, plastics, rubber, extrusion and cutting tools and machinery.
The performance of our CeraTough™ MSPVD coatings deposited using our proprietary High Energy PVD process is superior to many other commercially available coatings in the most demanding heavy-duty applications.